Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Book of Me... Written by You... Prompt 57

This week's prompt is - Life Chapters

  • Is your life divided into chapters?
  • How has that happened? Has it naturally evolved?
  • Can you easily reflect where one chapter ends and another begins?
    • Are there any surprises?
  • Are those Chapters determined by people and / or places / or significant events?
I would say everyone's life would be divided into chapters..so yes.. mine is also.
My life chapters I feel are determined mostly by events, but by
people also..

Chapter one :  I Nora was born .. my name on my birth certificate
is Norah Greves Newman.  Of course I didn't know it then, but my dad
would be the one I would be closer too.
I don't remember when my brother was born, but my sister I remember.
I had an uneventful life really, till the age of 5.
That's when Chapter two begins..

My parents broke up... I remember my mum leaving. .I
remember my dad crying..I remember crying myself.
We moved from Dundee to Greenock.. I would say that's when
Chapter Three begins..

My dad and I lived with my grandparents ( his parents ).
I remember how happy I was then... my Uncle David also lived
at home still. My Gran had a budgie ( Peter Pan ) it was blue, and
was in a cage by the window... my Grandfather had a dog
named Laddie.
I was still living there when my grandfather died.. I remember seeing
him lying on the bathroom floor... I remember the neighbour ( called
Mrs Cousins ) took me to her house. I remember my Uncle George
coming over, and my Gran crying.
I got to sleep in my Gran's bed with her after that... I love my Gran,
and I still miss her now.
When I was about 7 years old is when Chapter Four begins

My dad got remarried... my step mum's name was Bridget ( Bridie )
She used to work on the buses..I don't know how my dad met her.
I loved her... she was good to me
I remember her sister My Aunt Cathy and her husband my Uncle Donald.
And they had the cutest wee baby.. my cousin Margaret, who I felt
close to... would take her everywhere , and we would go in the photo
booths and get our picture taken... they were all black and white.
Life was pretty good.. I had good friends, I had a boyfriend ( off and on )
When I was 17.. things changed... that's when Chapter Five begins...

I was looking into changing my religion... my step mum told my dad
I had to leave.. I basically lost my family... this was another tough time for me. 
Looking back..I understand why my step mum felt like she did.. its not her
fault, but at the time, it was one of the more difficult times in my life.
Mrs Diamond took me in for a bit.. she had to be the most
non judgemental person I know... she was also my friend Helen's mum.
This photo is Helen and I....

I had new friends also that without knowing it ( because I
didn't tell them ) were also my lifesaver... so even though it was a
sad time.. they made it a happy time.
I lived with my friend Stacy and her family in Kilmacolm.. they were leaving
soon to go back to the USA though... at that time I found a Nanny job
in Edgeware, England.. thus begins Chapter six...

I moved to England.. I was only 18 years old...
Rosina also got a Nanny job there as well... and Lisa and Agnes too..
I have to say that living in England has some of the fondest memories for me.
This is Rosina and I .. ( I'm the dark haired one... Rosina is the pretty one )  :)
This is when we were in England...
This was such a fun time... I LOVED it there..
We made the loveliest friends... I also fell in love... kind of  ( and no, I didn't have a boyfriend)
No explanations either.... :)

Chapter Seven...  I came to Canada as a nanny .. went to Toronto.. I was 20 years
old.  I was so scared coming so far across the ocean.
It was 1976 ( January ) I had never seen roads so wide.. trying to cross them was
a nightmare.. and the cold !!!
In March, I met my husband, we were engaged in July and married in November
I remember sending a wedding invitation to my parents, but got
no response...that was tough
The next year, I went back on holiday and decided one day to go and see them..
it was all they needed.. they saw that I was okay and welcomed me..
I felt in a way that, that was a new chapter in my life... my relationship
with my parents was on the mend..

Chapter Eight would have to be when we started our family..including
adopting my daughter... we went from 0ne to three kids that year (1980 - 81' )
We had one more after that :)

Chapter Nine would have to be when my dad died... my passport had
expired and I hadn't renewed it yet.. I couldn't leave the country,so
wasn't able to go back to Scotland.. I still beat myself up over that.
I would have to say because I wasn't able to go over, that I have
never really got over the death of my Father... and I cant put into
words how much I miss him.. it was 1988

Chapter Ten.. I found my mum... she was living in South Africa, with finding
her I found out I had another brother and 3 other sisters, which made me the
oldest of SEVEN !!  I love them..  That year I also found my sister..
My life sounds so complicated !!  I also got to meet my mum, something
I thought I would never be able to do.
That same year my brother was killed in a fire, and also his 5 year old
daughter Emma. It was 1993.. This time I did go back for the funeral.
My nieces and nephew were hurt and in the hospital.. my heart was hurting..
You know just a few days before he died, he called me to tell me
he loves me.... I will never forget....

Chapter Eleven.. would be the rest of my life so far...
Lots of ups and downs, but a good life... I would have to say that everyone
has the ups and downs.
I have grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren, and I find myself
wondering what the rest of this chapter has in store..
I hope a lot of good  x x



No comments:

Post a Comment