Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Book of Me... Written by You... Prompt 59

This week's prompt is - Task Reflections
  • Write a list of each task you undertake for any given day. 
    • Include the fine details of the tasks
      • taking milk out of the fridge to add to a drink - what was the milk in? a jug, quart container?
  • Compare those tasks to an ancestor - someone born in the late 19th Century or early 20th Century and preferably someone that you knew or remember. 
  • Record and discuss the differences
  • What of those discoveries has impacted on you?
Here's a list of some of my tasks...

Make my bed... smooth out the bottom sheet, pull up top sheet, blanket and quilt..fold over at the top, tuck everything in. Fold up pj's and either put under my pillow or leave at bottom of the bed.


Wash the dishes...  I either rinse them off and then load them in the dishwasher, but I mostly wash them by hand, and let them dry on the draining board, and then put them away



Vacuum.. pretty straight forward.. I get the vacuum out, plug it in , turn it on and vacuum the carpets.

Clean bathroom(s) I get my cleaning supplies.. clean the bathroom mirror, put the toilet stuff in around the rim and let sit while I clean the sink and countertops, get the toilet brush and clean inside toilet.. get paper towels and cleaning supply for the outside.


Cook dinner.. well first decide what's for dinner, take something out the freezer.. if didn't take it out in time, then defrost in microwave ( I know, I know ) :)  Tonight its pork chops.  Then cook on the stove or in the oven..

Do laundry.. sort the clothes into different piles. eg: whites, darks, towels etc   put one load at a time in the washing machine on the correct setting. Put the laundry detergent in and turn on machine.  When done, put in the dryer with a bounce sheet and turn on dryer.

Comparing  doing the laundry in my grandparents day and doing it now..


It was so much harder.. washing in the big tub by hand.. and afterwards
putting it through a wringer..

It took a lot of time and hard work to do it.. the laundry would be
wet and heavy.  They didn't have dryers, so it would be hung on a washing
line outside.
I can remember even doing this when I was younger.. it makes the clothes
smell fresh... but having the convenience of a dryer is so much easier.
Don't have to iron afterwards... less work.. :)
Its amazing how much has changed... even in my lifetime.
There were no dishwashers... water would be put on the stove to warm up
just to be able to wash the dishes, or to even have a bath.

There were no inside bathrooms either, just outhouses... I'm glad
I didn't experience that. To have to go outside in the middle of the night
when it was dark and cold...
We are lucky in so many ways

No comments:

Post a Comment