Friday, May 16, 2014

The Book of Me...... Written by You.... Prompt 38

This week's prompt is - When I grow up I want to be........

Yes, what did you want to be?
What inspired you?
Did you become what you wanted to be or did you do something different?
- was that deliberate or simply the way things worked out?
Did you follow your childhood dream and it not be at all what you though?

When I was young, I had always wanted to be a Nurse.
I wanted to work with children as a Nurse... I remember talking
about it , and mentioning it every once in awhile to my dad.
He used to tell me that I wouldn't be able to handle the sight
of blood etc.  At first I would tell him that I could, but pretty soon
I started to doubt myself. and then just figured that I couldn't do it.
My dad, bless him, didn't mean to discourage me, and I was young at
that time, so he probably figured, how could I do that.
I don't really know what inspired me to want to do that as a career, except I
liked the idea of helping people, especially children.

As it was, when I finished school, I worked at a place called Wovenair.
I sat at a sewing machine all day and sewed parts of goonies ( housecoats )
and I remember there being Army jackets at some time as well.
I didn't dislike the job, but I didn't like it much either.
I think I gave my parents half my pay packet every week.
I remember they had music playing loudly, and singing along to the different songs.

I moved to England as a Nanny... that was in 1974.
I worked outside of London in a place called Edgeware...
I worked for a family called the Cohens, and there were three children, Jonathan,
Nicole and Adam... they were a lovely family.
I can't remember how long I worked for them, but I left to work in Butlins
in a place called Minehead. I basically was doing the same thing.
I walked around and listened for children crying, so that the parents could be alerted.
I ended up back in Edgeware again, and stayed at a friend's home called Jane Reynolds,
and her daughter Tracey...  while there I managed to get a Nanny job in Toronto, Canada.
Honestly, it was hard to leave ... I had the nicest friends there, but I felt also that I had no choice,
I had nowhere else to go.

The only other jobs I've had were working for Allstate Insurance, Marks and Spencer's ( at night )
and taking care of children in my home, which I have now done for over 35 years.
So I guess the taking care of children part I did... just not as a Nurse.
I don't really have an honourable or career minded job, but I have a job that
I have helped shape lives, that even now, I look back on the many
children I have had.... and I still miss them.... a lot....

No comments:

Post a Comment