Friday, October 25, 2013

The Book of Me.... Written by You... prompt 9

This week’s prompt is Halloween

Have you ever participated in a Halloween event?
When was it?
Where was it?
What did you dress as?
Trick or treat?

All Hallows Eve, or Halloween in Scotland in the 60's was simpler than it is now....  we would go "guising" .. we would just dress up in some old clothes that belonged to our parents... we were usually made to do a dance or sing a song or say a poem to get something.  I don't remember getting sweeties so much, we would get nuts or apples...we would also go " dookin " for apples.  We could use a fork in our mouth, or just plain dip our head in the water and use our teeth.
simpler times,  but fun times..
I don't ever remember pumpkins... I do remember ( just a little ) neep lanterns ( turnip lanterns )
We cut a face in the turnip ( just like we do for pumpkins now ), and usually turnip was on the menu the next day. :)
 
Since I live in Canada now, and I take care of children, I usually decorate my house up...





I have never been one to dress up too much... but I do love seeing all the children come around. They all yell " Trick or Treat "
We used to take our kids out when they were little... my husband usually took them around, while I stayed and handed out candy.
Halloween is not my most favourite holiday, although I do love getting the kids excited about it, and I love decorating for it,,, but all in all, I'm usually glad when its over.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN !!!!!!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. It's not my favorite holiday either and now, even less so.

    ReplyDelete