Friday, November 8, 2013

The Book of Me.... Written by You... Prompt 11


This week’s prompt (week 11) is Military

• Did you join the military?
Were you encouraged or discouraged?
...
• Did a family member?
• o Regular or for a particular incident

• Did you or your family serve overseas in the line of Service either during a war or a posting

• Any thoughts, photographs, memories relevant




This first picture is my Uncle Willie in uniform

This is my Dad's brother.. William Scott Newman...
He was born 24 May, 1917, and was the fourth child ( second son ) to my grandparents David Newman and Agnes McGowan..
I don't know what regiment he was in... but I LOVE this picture of him, and I am so proud of him.
Another of my Dad's brother's is my Uncle George...
George Menzies Newman was the 7th child and the 4th son, born 5th March, 1922..
Here he is in his uniform... I also don't know much about his service, but am also very proud of him x

This next picture is of my Grandfathers 2 brother's ( My Mother's Uncles ) George and Fred McCulloch.  I don't know the dates for Fred, but George was born George on 7 March, 1915
Fred is on the left hand side and George the right.
They were fighter pilots...
George won the DCM medal on his wife Ina's birthday, and was so proud of it..which he should be.
It was put in the paper, and he sent me copies of them..



I feel so proud of him... He and his wife had no children, so he had no-one to pass these treasures on to... I remember him writing and saying that he was going to donate his medals to a museum... which one, I have no idea, but I'm in the process of trying to find out, as I would love a picture of them..
I really wish I had paid better attention at the time..
 
My Gr Grandfather on my Mother's side was Patrick O'Brien, he was born in 1870, and died in 1954... here is his discharge paper, and other ones
 
When he enlisted, he was already married with a family..





 
There is also a medal for him....
 
I would love to find out more information on my family, and really hope one day to be able to.
I am so very proud of them... very, very proud  x
 
 
 
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead: Short days ago,
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved: and now we lie
In Flanders fields! ...

Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you, from failing hands, we throw
The torch: be yours to hold it high
If ye break faith with us who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields





 




No comments:

Post a Comment